Re: Auto Save

On 11 Sep 2020  Dave <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <301936ae58.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 10 Sep 2020  Dave <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Asking on Her behalf again.  :-)

>>> Does StrongED (4.70a13) have an Auto Save facility?

>>> By that I mean, she's clanking away on the keyboard writing text and
>>> every (Set time) StrongED makes an auto save of the document (So far).

>> Yes. Go to icon bar choices, click on Edit where you'll find the ability
>> to set auto-save and how often.

>> Best wishes,

>> Peter.

> Hi Peter,
> Thanks for that prompt.
> However it doesn't work.  :-(

> Set the time for (say) 1 minute.

> Start a text document and write "Hello world", Save it into directory
> "APlace".

> Carry on typing for many minutes then open the text document that's in Dir
> "APlace".

> It hasn't changed, it still only has "Hello world"?

> If it *is* doing an Auto-save, where it it putting the saved?

Not very obvious, and I didn't know until I did some investigating. I
don't know how Faye's StrongED is set up, but here I searched !StrED_cfg
and !StrongED for "auto". I found two directories:
!StrED_cfg.UserPrefs.AutoSave and a corresponding one in !StrongED. Here
the AutoSaved text is in the StrongED_cfg one. It disappears as soon as
the StrongED file is closed.

More than that I know not, but I imagine Fred will be along soon with his
usual wisdom.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--