Re: StrongHTML mode - HTML5 update to named characters StrongHelp page

Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 3 Jun 2020:

> That's definitely a lot more compact. I'm wondering if the use of red
> for HTML5 only entities should be carried through in the subpages as
> well.

> A minor point is the 'About this manual' page. The original version is
> attributed to Joe Taylor but I believe the original page came from
> Guttorm Vik's StrongHTML StrongHelp manual.

Fair enough, both the above are now actioned. New version (now with a
version number, 2.4) on the same site as before.

The distribution of this manual is a little strange. In addition to being
in the StrongHTML mode, the original version of it can also be found as
part of the 'HTML' StrongHelp manual (also by Guttorm) which is
distributed at http://www.riscos.info/downloads/stronghelp/manuals/ . I'm
not sure how best to get around this duplication.

>> Talking of StrongHTML mode Fred, do you have the source code available to
>> the various tool runimages (which are initiated by buttons at the top of a
>> StrongED window)? They are found in StrongHTML.Tools. If they are written
>> in BASIC I could have a stab at updating them for HTML5. If not in BASIC I
>> *may* not be able to help though, depending on
>> langugage/complexity/compiler requirements.

> They are in BASIC, AppBasic to be precise, but are heavily compressed
> (via StrongBS) and wrapped into an Absolute filetype. There are no plain
> sources present. Changing them is therefore difficult so one would have
> to try to get in touch with Joe Taylor to see if he's willing and able
> to provide the sources, or recreate the tools based on their behaviour.

> Some (4, I believe) of the simpler ones I have recreated a while ago but
> the more complex ones still need doing. The ones done need more work to
> make them really robust. Also the technique used (different from Joe's)
> would need to be evaluated.

Thanks for the update.

I think personally in that case I'll use !HTMLbar as a button bar app to
insert HTML5 tags. I've made an updated version of that, which I can
upload if anyone else is interested. Something inbuilt to StrongED would
of course be better ideally.

--
Ewen Pring, St. Albans, Herts
using RISC OS 5