Re: Search and replace question

In message <9150ee6758.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
          Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <6e1eb96658.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I can do it with three successive operations - replace double quote with
>> @@@, then replace single with double, then replace @@@ with single, but
>> it's cumbersome.
>>
>> Is there a better way?

> No, I don't think so, at least not from the S&R dialogue box.

> If this has to be done regularly then you could create a function to do
> all 3 replaces in sequence and tie it to a toolbar icon or menu entry.

>> Also, can it be limited to lines where the first quote is a single one?

> That would need some external code, I feel. A small BASIC or Lua script
> should do the trick. Though that might not be needed if Tim's suggestion
> of using just one type of quote is a suitable solution.

Thanks Fred. If I find myself doing this a lot, I think I'll write
something in BASIC. About 10 to 20 lines of code should do it.

Decades ago I used to use ECCE on a VAX. While it was somewhat cumbersome,
being command driven on a text terminal, it did have the advantage of
being line-oriented, which might have made this particular requirement
possible. however a lot of other thingas StrongED does would have been
unthinkable, never mind impossible.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx