Re: [StrongED] SE v4.70a13 CtrlTab

In message <5763aa3efelist01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After installing a new a13, when I open files in some modes for the
> first time, I get a fleeting little message box which says
>
>     Unknown bitmap style: 'CtrlTab' in mode 'xxx'
>
> where xxx is at least Obey and News
>
> The only places I can find CtrlTab is in lots of Defaults.Modes
> directories in ColoursStd and ColoursAlt files, in lines which say...
>
>     BitmapStyle_Tabs:CtrlTab
>
> I can find no mention of BitMapStyle_Tabs in the SH Help file, so can
> anyone suggest what is wrong and where?

When using bitmap fonts StrongEDcan display special glyphs for Ctrl and
tab characters (see Mode Choices -> Font -> Bitmap font options).

The original implementation had the special glyphs located in character
positions 0-31, with Tabs taking up the first 4 positions. This meant
that Ctrl codes 0-3 would show glyphs for Tab rather than a small hex
number like the other Ctrl codes.

Over the years I've tried various ways of fixing this; including the -
in retrospect ill-conceived - CtrlTab font style. For 4.70 this was
changed again, hopefully for the last time, where the glyphs for Tab are
now at positions 256-259, away from Ctrl code glyphs which are at 0-31.

The CtrlTab font style has been dropped from the available bitmap fonts.
However the name might still be present in the ColoursStd & ColoursAlt
files inside Defaults.Modes/UserPrefs.Modes .

To get rid of the warning the name 'CtrlTab' needs to be replaced by
'Regular'. Fortunately we can use StrongED to do this in bulk:

 - Make sure that there's no files loaded into StrongED
 - Ctrl-Drag the Modes [*] directory to the iconbar icon
 - Change Pattern to: *,**.colours*
 - Click 'Load directory'

 - Open the SnR dialogue box (s-F4)
 - Set Search to 'CtrlTab' and Replace to 'Regular' (without quotes)
 - Ensure Engine is set to 'Simple' and Scope to 'All'
 - Click 'Go' and then 'Replace all' in the 'what next' window
 - Open LoW window (Ctrl-L) and click Menu -> Save -> Save Changed

[*] You may need to do this twice, for UserPrefs and again for Defaults.
Restart StrongED when done and the warning should be gone.

StrongED Developer