Re: [StrongED] searching for last word in a field

In message <a36f336257.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel <stred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Yes, but the puzzle is how to sort not by the first word but by the
>surname -- which might be the second, third, fourth or fifth word in the
>first column.

In the script I posted I am assuming that a surname is the first word
followed by a tab in a line preceded by a blank line. "Word" means
any nonempty sequence of characters not containing a tab or a blank
space. The script simply prepends the surname, followed by a tab,
to the line containing it.

Is that what is required?
--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)