Re: [StrongED] Suggestions for StrongMen?

On 9 Nov 2018  Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <bd864f5457.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 9 Nov 2018  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi All,

>>> Does anyone have any suggestions/wishes for StrongMen? At the moment
>>> I'm doing some work on StrongMen and I would interested to know if
>>> there's anything that people would like to see added.

>> [snip]

>> StrongMen is one of my must-have programs, and at the moment can't think
>> of anything that would improve it for me :-)

>> Best wishes,

>> Peter.

> What on earth is StrongMen, a document with muscle building exercises?

> Dave

> I really have no idea!

From its Help file:

StrongMen - Introduction to StrongMen

StrongMen can offer you the following services:

An application launcher
An URL hotlist manager
A history of recent files
A list of currently open files.

All this in the form of a menu. Using a menu has several advantages:

Everyone knows how to operate menus.
It is quick to browse and keeps StrongMen small.
It is easy to generate and update a menu at runtime.
It doesn't use up much space on the screen, and it's only there when you
need it.

The menu is defined by a text file. Using a text file also has advantages:

Everyone knows how to use a text editor.
StrongMen doesn't have to have its own editing code, making it small.
The text file matches the 'shape' of the menu close enough to make the
concept fairly easy to grasp.

Since StrongMen comes with an example menufile, the fastest way to get to
know it is to run it. Then move the pointer to the left edge of the screen
and click Select to open the StrongMenu.

There it is. Browse through it, and then click Adjust on the iconbar icon
to see how the file looks. You need a "proper" text editor to make sense
of it though; one that supports the OLE protocol, has visible TAB
characters, and lets you set a large wrap width.

If you use StrongED then you might want to install the StrongMen mode
which makes editing the StrongMenu file even easier through things like
syntax colouring and folding.

I fond it very useful, but YMMV.

Best wishes,

Peter.