[StrongED] Re: StrongED 4.70a13 available

On 13 Oct in article <26e4564657.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <574608ada8list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> > In the absence of any (obvious) instructions in the zip, what is
> > the recommended way to update !StrEd_cfg & !StrongED from a12?
> > Just copy new over old, or remove old and copy new?

> You should never copy new over old. Given the many files and modes
> that make up StrongED it's unlikely that the internal structure
> remains the same over time. If you drop new over old the result may
> be orphaned files/directories or in worst case a non-working
> StrongED.

> Example: the AppBasic mode included with 4.70a13 comes with an
> updated Complete add-on that has had its internals reorganised to
> tidy it up and to prepare for future changes. If you copy new over
> old then a number of files would be left in there that are no
> longer needed which may result in confusion later on.

> To update to 4.70a13:

>  - Rename/move 4.70a12 and put 4.70a13 in its place.
>  - Copy modes not already present in 4.70a13 from 4.70a12
>  - If running, quit StrongED and start 4.70a13

Thanks Fred - I had a vague feeling that was the case.
I would suggest that because it is normal for most apps to just drag
new over old, to avoid SE problems the process should be included in
all SE releases?

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader