Re: [StrongED] Re: StrongED 4.70a13 available

In message <574608ada8list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12 Oct in article <dd91ff4557.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 11 Oct 2018  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > The thirteenth alpha release of StrongED 4.70 can found on the
> > > website:
> > > http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/archives/releases/se470a13.zip
>
> > > This release brings further Dump mode changes and introduces
> > > Snippets as an extension of the Shortcuts functionality.
>
> > > Please give 4.70a13 a try so that issues can be found and fixed.
>
> > [snip]
>
> > Many thanks, Fred, and working fine here on this ARMX6 and on VRPC.
> > A lot easier now for me to reinstate my personal bits of
> > configuration, too.
>
> In the absence of any (obvious) instructions in the zip, what is the
> recommended way to update !StrEd_cfg & !StrongED from a12?
> Just copy new over old, or remove old and copy new?

You should never copy new over old. Given the many files and modes that
make up StrongED it's unlikely that the internal structure remains the
same over time. If you drop new over old the result may be orphaned
files/directories or in worst case a non-working StrongED.

Example: the AppBasic mode included with 4.70a13 comes with an updated
Complete add-on that has had its internals reorganised to tidy it up and
to prepare for future changes. If you copy new over old then a number of
files would be left in there that are no longer needed which may result
in confusion later on.

To update to 4.70a13:

 - Rename/move 4.70a12 and put 4.70a13 in its place.
 - Copy modes not already present in 4.70a13 from 4.70a12
 - If running, quit StrongED and start 4.70a13