Re: [StrongED] Manual - text colouring

In message <573453c2a0Lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          "Richard Torrens (lists)" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Before continuing with the Syntax colouring sections of
> http://stronged.torrens.org/man/modes/syntaxmodefile.html I though it
> prudent to write up a description of StrongED's text colouring system.
>
> I see this has changed drastically between 4.69 and 4.70! In particular
> many more elements can have their colours changed via the Mode's Choices
> dbox. Previously these colours could only be changed via the ColoursStd
> file, which I doubt ever gets done.

All colours that are in the ColoursStd file are configurable in the Mode
Choices window (both 4.69 and 4.70). Colours that are not available in
Mode Choices -> Colours can't be configured.

> But two question for Fred: do you foresee any situation where the new 32
> groups may be useful? None of the available modes actually use more than
> 12 groups!

The number of groups was extended to 32 because of the assembler modes
(BasAsm, ObjAsm and Dump). Newer ARM CPUs have many more groups of
instructions (Neon, VFP) and I updated StrongED to support them.

However I was running out of SyntaxWords groups (currently my copy of
BasAsm mode has 27 groups defined) so I decided to increase the number
of groups.

> Second question: in 4.69 there is a ColoursAlt file. I can't see how this
> can be activated other than by renaming it?

To switch to the alternative set of colours you use:
Global Choices -> Display -> Use alternative colour scheme.

This makes all modes use the ColoursAlt files instead of the ColoursStd.

> Although the ability to have almost everything in different colours seems
> nice - too many different colours and styles could get awfully confusing!

You can always set several groups to the same colour/font style to keep
the number of colours/styles within reason.

> Has anyone got any suggestions for colours?

Or even entire colour schemes?

StrongED Developer