[StrongED] Re: Manual ID

In article <5733ce396aLists@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Richard Torrens (lists) <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <1f71c23357.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
>    Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > But a problem. In HTML mode these are defined:
> > >   ID_FirstChar	<
> > >   ID_Middle	/A-Za-z_0-9
> > >   ID_LastChar	A-Za-z_0-9>
> > >
> > > However changing
> > >   ID_LastChar	>
> > > appears to have no effect. e.g. <z
> > > still gets coloured as an identifier. I expected it not to get
> > > coloured, but <z> would.

> > ID_LastChar last is optional, it will be accepted if there but if it's
> > absent then that's fine too.

> > It seems to me that the ID keywords were designed with BBC BASIC in
> > mind where the following are all valid identifiers:

> >   foobar   (floating point)
> >   foobar%  (integer)
> >   foobar$  (string)

> > If ID_LastChar (defined in BASIC mode as '$%') has to produce a match
> > then floating point variables would not be seen as identifiers.

> > In some modes, such as HTML, the ID keywords are 'abused' to colour
> > things that can't be easily captured by other means. This results in
> > the anomaly you spotted.

> Thanks Fred

> But _if_ I understand you properly you are saying ID_LastChar does -
> Absolutely nothing ?

Just been playing... ID_LastChar does nothing other than colour the last
character, if it is different from the ID_Middle characters.

So in the case of html, the A-Za-z_0-9 of ID_LastChar is redundant and
does nothing. Only the > has any effect!

--
Richard Torrens.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats