Re: [StrongED] Nederlands

In message <9cbada2557.gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <36a9d22557.Gerard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Gerard van Katwijk <g.vankatwijk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Look, a reaction on my mail in Dutch, to see if there are any people
>> who can read Dutch :-) I know some English, but it is not my native
>> language, so it is always more difficult to communicate in.
> Your English seems pretty good to me. I stayed a few days as a guest
> of the mathematics department in Leiden, some time in the 1960s, and
> I do not think I met anyone in the street there whose English was not fluent.

When I was in my early twenties, I hitch hiked a number of years
trough Europe, Asia and reached at last Australia. On the road I
picked up parts of the language of different countries I passed by.
And, natural, I communicated with other traveling people and in former
English colonys in English. But writing is something different (I have
always a Dutch/English dictionary on my lap :-)

>> OK, but can you read Dutch?
> No, but with English and Danish I can make some guesses.

I know, Danish and Dutch have similar looking words.

> Also, I should say that I have always been interested in the history
> of language.

I've read things about that. I have a broad interest in all sort of
things.

> The further back in time you go, the closer cousin-languages appear to be.
> Danish is a big help with Middle English, such as 'Sir Gawain and the
> Green Knight'. But then the Danes ruled a goodly chunk of England for
> quite a while, which perhaps explains that :).

I readed something about humans spreading from Africa over the world
and how cultures influenced each other.

>> Aside: I thought, that this mailing list was specially meant, related
>> to StrongEd. But in your mail I find nothing of it :-)
> Well Strong** are both creations of Guttorm Vik. StrongEd is certainly
> my favourite text-editor,

Mine too, but I want to know more of it.

> and Fred Graute has done a marvellous job
> with developing it.

I discovered, thathe is Dutch and I had already correspond - in Dutch
;-) - with him.

> If HTML and CSS, and a browser capable of interpreting them, had been
> available in those early days would G.V. have bothered
> with StrongHelp?

I don't think so.

> For making manuals it seems to me that HTML+CSS give you
> almost everything you need, plus the bonus of making links to
> documents on the WWW.

Right. Specially the possebility to make links within a manual is a
strong point.

> Even if one removed from NetSurf the ability to download over the
> internet, keeping just the rendering of HTML+CSS, one would still have
> a display tool of much greater sophistication and ease of authoring than
> StrongHelp.

Till now, I made different things in HTML/CSS for myself and share
those with whom had interest. But sometimes I feel me a lonely
traveller :-)

> I feel that the NetSurf sources probably contain a lot of
> fertile material for further RISC OS applications.

> One thing NetSurf currently lacks is the ability to display tooltips,
> because it still needs the 'hover' selector to be implemented. Tooltips
> are particularly appropriate for tutorial material, because explanations
> that would otherwise clutter up the page can be hidden and yet
> be within easy reach - especially useful for beginners in a subject.

My idee of making a StrongEd manual is to propose a manual with an
quick start part and a menu with a sub menu that will always in reach,
making it possible to find things quick and easy. I want lots of
images who must support text. Naturally I can make this only in Dutch.
When I'm far enough, I will send this to Fred in the hope that he will
copple this onto StrongED, so StrongEd will be further attractive for
interested (Dutch) people. And mayby, someone will translate that in
Englisch :-) Dreaming has always been the beginning of things :-)

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard van Katwijk