[StrongED] Re: News ModeWhen query

On 05 Jul in article <4709d41257.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <571253e443list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> > The 8 digit number is a timestamp for uniqueness, and I am
> > investigating how that could be changed in Pluto to make
> > identification posible.

> In this case it might be useful to embed some form of identification
> into the hex number.

> > > eg <Wimp$ScrapDir>.Pluto.UserDict

I hope to be able to use UserDict, as there is only one anyway.
This enables a rule to be added to the News Exludes of
      fff,(Pluto)**.Pluto.UserDict
which appears to resolve the News mode problem.

> > I am also wondering what happens (in Zap & SE) if a file with the
> > *same* name is passed to OLE twice, then changed and saved.

> Sounds like an interesting experiment. If the session numbers used
> are different then it could be handled correctly and you'd end up
> with the content of the OLE file that was closed last.

I believe the session numbers would be different.

With Zap, opening a second one seems to do nothing - no extra window
is opened. When saving a change in that window Zap objects saying the
file appears to be older than the disc: Overwrite or Cancel.
Overwrite still leave a Save box visible - click that and the change
is indeed saved. Which is all rather confusing.

With SE v4.70a12, two edit windows are opened. Each appears to save
normally ... but only the last saved changes are there afterwards.
Which is also confusing.

Because of the confusion, I have managed to find an easy way to stop
it being edited twice, by fading the button used to invoke it!

That, plus the name change, appear to work nicely - or at least I
have not found any nasty side effects yet!

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader