[StrongED] Re: ModeWhen syntax

On 04 Jul in article <ed3e501257.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <5711e3c537list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The help (in 4.70a12) says that ModeWhen Include & Exclude Rules
> > have a comma before any match expression.
> >
> > The example ModeWhen, and all the default mode files seem to use
> > a semicolon.
> >
> > Which is correct?

> Both are correct, you can use a comma or a semicolon.

> > If multiple rules in a group match a file, which is used?
> > The first? Or the last? Or even 'the most restrictive'?

> The first one that produces a match. If there are multiple rules
> for a given filetype/pathname pair then put the most specific one
> at the top and the most generic one at the bottom of the list.

Thanks for the clarification on these points.

Perhaps the Help file could also be clarified?

[I have also noticed a couple of 'paranthesis' which should be
'parenthesis' in the Help file.]

The comma/semicolon caused me some grief when trying some
experiments: because the help did not agree with all examples I could
find, I tried both until my matches started to work!

Thanks
Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader