Re: [StrongED] Re: Manual - Tabstops

On 2018-06-25 09:36, Richard Torrens (lists) wrote:
In article <204d26443ce290c70a804b2e3a130f17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - ml sed <jn.ml.sed45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would have expected that the file itself would need to be a TSV one.

Why? The text concerned is csv content.

Hmm, well, there's more than one sort of tabbing.  I don't know which
one SE implements, or if there's a choice.

In one form - which I think maybe you want - use of the tab or backtab
key in an editor display will cause the caret to leap back and forth
across a text line, to specific places.  It's effectively just like
using a key that issues multiple cursor-right or cursor left commands.

If you really do want commas to be treated as field delimiters for the
tab logic you'll certainly need to tell SE that commas are significant,
otherwise it won't know, will it?

There's another sort where file are stored with multiple blanks replaced
by combinations of tab characters and spaces.  For example if tabs are
set every 7 columns and you want 9 spaces between two strings, the file
might contain one tab character and 2 spaces.  When it's read from disk
the editor expands the spaces, and when it's written to disk the editor
replaces the spaces with tabs etc.

For the latter to work, files typically contain a lot of tab characters.

I occasionally edit a large perl program that I didn't write.  In that,
tabs not only control the look of program indenting, the indents affect
the program logic.  So accidentally changing an indent will screw-up the
logic.  With the editor I use on Windows, I keep the files flagged as
read-only. When such a file is loaded into the editor I expand tabs, not
to the every 8 spaces that experiments showed me was /probably/ what the
original author liked best, but 3 spaces (because multi-indented lines
don't then creep a long way across a screen).  It makes the code easier
to read.  But if I want to change one of these file I take the R/O flag
off the file (else I'll not be able to save a revised version), and then
the editor leaves the tab chars in place without changing them to spaces
so I'm certain I'm not going to change the logic.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own