Re: [StrongED] Re: Export from StrongED

In message <5701fc0db9dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <5701f42d21dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > What about any configurations to SE I've done for her, will they not be
> > lost if the whole thing is dumped and replaced with a new virgin version?
>
> [Snip]
>
> I think I've answered that for myself now, after doing a clean Virgin
> update for her as per instructions.
>
> It appears such configs are held in !StrED_cfg.

Correct, the idea is that a new StrongED can be installed without the
user's changes/getting lost.

> One question thought, why is the !StrED_cfg in the se470a12 archive older
> than the one she already has installed from the previous SE 4.69f9 version?

Take your pick; oversight, haste, developer stupidity, ...

> One small thing worth a mention.  :-/
>
> The instructions for installing !StrED_cfg maybe correct for some ROOL
> versions of RISC OS but not for RISC OS Select versions.
>
> "To install StrED_cfg in Boot:Choices, hold down Shift and double-click
>   !Boot. Then open the directory 'Choices' and copy StrED_cfg from the
>   archive to this directory."
>

> For RISC OS Select versions (6.20 in my case) the path is:
>
> "...HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Choices.Users.Single.!StrED_cfg"

Good point. Based on this I added an obey file to 4.69f10 archive that
copies StrED_cfg to Choices$Write (which should point to the correct
directory on all systems with a modern boot sequence).

The instructions were updated accordingly so users no longer have to
delve into !Boot to install StrED_cfg.