Re: [StrongED] Re: Colours Element names

In message <56e27e06c3list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02 Apr in article <3c2074e256.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
>    Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <56e261cdb7list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > > This is all because of the problems I have found with printing from
> > > StrongEd, as I believe the only way to use a sensible colour scheme
> > > and font size is to create another Mode and adjust the colour
> > > settings - ie a smaller font and a white background with the light
> > > colours changed to darker ones. Unless anyone knows an easier way...
>
> > Assuming you only use one of the colour schemes then you could set up
> > the other one for printing. If you use the scheme ColoursStd (white
> > background) then you could set up ColoursAlt for printing.
>
> > The downside is that you'd have to change the colour scheme before
> > printing (and back after), same for the outline font settings. Colour
> > scheme is changed via: 'Global choices -> Display -> Use alternative
> > colour scheme'.
>
> I use ColoursAlt for on-screen, and I did experiment with using the other
> for printing - but I abandoned it when I realised it was a Global choice
> that affected all open windows. I only want to affect (and print) one
> window).

At the moment there is no other way to change the colour scheme, for
printing or on screen. To print using different colours would therefore
require: switch colour scheme, print text, switch colour scheme back.

> > The problem of printing colours is something I've been aware of for
> > quite some time but I have yet to find a solution that integrates nicely
> > with the rest of StrongED. Suggestions welcome!
>
> It would be nice if there could be provision for a small number of
> overrides to specific settings which were only used when printing. I
> can see that a nice user interface to maintain them would not be easy,
> but even if a 'Printing' file in a Mode directory had to be manually
> maintained it would perhaps be easier overall.

One of the things I'm considering:

Add a string set to the Colours section of Mode choices that can be used
to select the Colours file to save the colours to. The options could be
Std, Alt and Prt (can't use the full name due to lack of space).

This way the already present interface can be used so it should be
relatively easy to implement. There are however still some questions
that need to be answered, like should this option be saved?

StrongED Developer