Re: [StrongED] Re: Updated Swipe anyone?

In message <56beef73edLists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          "Richard Torrens (lists)" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <f7d8ebbe56.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
>    Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If people are interested then I'll update Swipe further and get in touch
> > with Andrew Stubbs to see if he has any objections to a new release.
>
> I use !Transfer2 extensively. Swipe seems to do a similar job. So will
> Swipe do a better job?

Why not try it? You can download Swipe using the link I gave in my
initial post. It works on RO 5 but has issues, mainly with the Filer.

To overcome the biggest problem, load the !RunImage and locate the
following bit of assembler (about line 250). Insert the instruction
indicated and save the altered !RunImage.

.loop
    ldrb    r2,[r5],#1
    strb    r2,[r0],#1
    subs    r3,r3,#1
    teqne   r2,#0     ; <== insert this instruction
    bne     loop

This stops Swipe from blindly copying 256 bytes which aborts with the
RO 5 Filer because it runs into a memory page that is inaccessible.

There may be other issues so to be on the safe side make sure you have
nothing important loaded whilst testing Swipe.

Once running you can grab text that is painted using the system font or
outline fonts. You cannot grab text that is painted using ZapRedraw or
StrongED's bitmap fonts. See Help for more details.

> The main failing with !Transfer2 is that, when dumping the text there is
> no delay so it can be very inpredictable where the text is going to get
> dumped.

Swipe copies the text to the global clipboard. The text is also sent to
the keyboard buffer so it will appear at the input focus if there.

> With !Transfer2 you can drag text from an application onto the icon bar
> ready for dumping.

No such facility in Swipe but it would be easy to add. The main problem,
I think, would be how to integrate it with Swipe's way of working.

StrongED Developer