[StrongED] Re: Manual - opinions?

In article <f94907b256.John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   John Rickman <rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <56b1c295b1tim@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > so I'd be in favour of
> > lots of examples. Maybe have one or two on the main page with "more..."
> > leading to another.

> I agree,and prefer examples to be as short and clear as possible.
> The "to be or not to be..." example  tries to do too much.

I cannot disagree ... it (still) is very much a cse of groping in the dark
for best presentation.

> It is fine for further study but is overly complex as an introduction.
> Something along the following lines may be easier to grasp:

> Purpose:   Add a string after a date

>      search arg         @1##"."##"."##@2
>      replace arg        @12" -->"

Have started a new repository fpr examples (I have many of my own).

> then
>      29.12.17 Hform disc geometry
> becomes
>      29.12.17 --> Hform disc geometry

> Second, having read the explanation of couNt, I am not clear on how to
> use it, and the real life example was off-puttingly long and
> complicated.

Part of this is thinking up sensible examples of when a feature is
actually useful. I would like to do a simple example for every feature but
it is not simple!

In due course I will reduce the length of some examples.

> Overall impression - a colourful start, but someway to go.

I am only just getting a sense of how far that may be...

--
Richard Torrens.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats