[StrongED] Re: Manual - opinions?

In article <56b18eeaacLists@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Torrens (lists)
<Lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've spent much time thinking about how to present Advanced S&R.

> So does http://diy.torrens.org/RO/StrongED/man/Prep/advanced_sr.html
> work - as far as it goes?

> In particular how many examples are sensible in the text - or should
> they be on separate pages? One already is - under Counter.

> It's a complicated subject which I'm tring to make simple in concept!

I can't really comment too much on advanced S&R as I use it so
infrequently, it's me who needs a manual on it so I'd be in favour of
lots of examples. Maybe have one or two on the main page with "more..."
leading to another.

I once needed to delete entire lines containing one phrase (e.g.
"wibble") so that would be the sort of example I would be looking for:

Search: $*"wibble"*$
Replace: [blank]

In the first line, I find the statement "Search and Replace is on key F4"
a bit confusing, surely "Search/Replace is obtained with <Shift><f4>".

I do use StrongED to help manage a huge website, so here's my 2p on the
HTML. I have made a few tweaks to improve the layout. See example later.

Changed declaration to HTML5. Easier than 4. Less strict.
All tags now lower case. Most of them were already.
Moved language to HTML tag.
Moved TITLE tag in HEAD and re-ordered its content for narrow tabs on
other browsers.
Changed content-type charset declaration to UTF-8.
Added '?new' to end of sylesheet URL to encourage (some) browsers to
reload it each time. Now a relative link to enable these tweaks.
Added /HEAD and BODY tags and BODY has a familiar CSS background-image.
Added CSS class 'container' to limit width, and give padding and margins.
Generally tidied up paragraphs throughout.
Changed background colour examples to SPANs with &nbsp; padding.
Indented major items and split some lines to make things easier to
read/find things in the HTML.
Changed a whole load of < and > to &lt; and &gt;
Tidied up lots of id declarations.
As they are not headings, I changed the final list contained in many
H2.../H2 tags, to an unordered list with CSS to remove the usual list
blobs and make the text bigger.
H1 - H6 given a sans-serif font.
Removed CSS/HTML4 images, replaced with W3C working links.

http://timil.com/RISC_OS/stronged-manual/torrens.htm

The CSS added is at the end of this file:

http://timil.com/RISC_OS/stronged-manual/strong.css

HTH.

Tim Hill

timil.com : tjrh.eu : butterwick.eu : blue-bike.uk : youngtheatre.co.uk