Re: [StrongED] StrongED Instructions

In message <69cc279e-5e2c-efd1-dd1d-8b0716468c25@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          Steve Drain <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Formatting is a problem.

Can I respectfully suggest that we leave the discussion about the final
format of the manual for later when we have an actual manual to format.
We don't want to get bogged down before we've even started.

(I realise that Steve was talking about SH here, I just thought it was a
good place to make my point).

> >> And would anyone be prepared to help writing it?
> Just after StrongED was made public, and before Fred had fully adopted
> it, I tried to document it using SH and to categorise its facilities.
> That was tricky.

Yes, one of the main issues to resolve is how to structure the manual
and how much detail to put in. It's even conceivable that the manual is
split in 2, a introductory user manual and an advanced user manual.

I have 3 manuals here that could be looked at to see what kind of
structure would work best.

 - The original StrongED manual from when it was commercial software
 - The manual by Richard that the website is referring to
 - The manual by the late Keith Hopper

The manuals by Richard and Keith are unfinished but there is enough
there to see if the manual is appealing or not.

> I have never attempted to produce a user manual as Richard has and
> recognise it is a very large task.

It is, which is why I suggested mentioning it here so that more people
can get involved, making suggestions, proof reading and maybe writing.

> I did write two articles for Archive magazine on Search and Replace,
> but those will be out of date now.

Having just skimmed them, they still seem to be pretty accurate. It's
mostly the bits that have been added since that are missing.

StrongED Developer