Re: [StrongED] Re: Bubblehelp conflict

On 14 Sep, Jim Nagel wrote in message
    <57d9327b56.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Steve Fryatt  wrote on 13 Sep:
>
> > Both Float and BH [Bubblehelp] were written pre-RISC OS 4, when Help had
> > a fixed window.
>
> Miles Sabin was the original author of Bubblehelp, but Philip Ludlam
> updated it in the Ro4 days.  His latest version is 2.20, dated 2003.

Irrelevant to Tim's point, however: we were discussing why they were
*originally* written, not why they continued to be maintained.

> > Float takes very little development time, so keeping it running on RISC
> > OS 5 isn't a major hardship.
>
> Any chance, Steve, of adding the "speech bubble" appearance that
> characterizes Bubblehelp as a further guise for Float (which already
> offers several formats)?  The bubble is sure more lively than a box.
>
> I'm surmising that it'd be a "skin" thing, though I might be wrong.

Probably not, because as I recall it's extremely non-trivial to do, due to
RISC OS requiring windows to be rectangular.

> I'm still curious as to why Bubblehelp causes the system to freeze with
> StrongEd and apparently not other apps.  Maybe a 32-bit thing?

We'd need to know what's in the help message block sent from StrongED to
BubbleHelp to be able to answer that. My recollection from developing Float
is that Help was very tolerant of dodgy data which wouldn't normally be
accepted by the published rules, so there might be something in the block
that BubbleHelp isn't expecting.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/