[StrongED] Re: StrongEd v4.70a12 and Throwback

In article <637d553356.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <5633483bf5list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I have just had a Throwback window after an error in a Basic program.
> >
> > A saved version of the window contained (on two lines)...
> >
> > Errors in : ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!BOOT.Library.WaitPoll.Sect.Diary
> > Processing: ** Error ** ERR=&1A Unknown or missing variable in
> > "Sect.Diary" ERL=26019
> >
> > However...
> >
> > 1.  The !BOOT.Library.WaitPoll in the first line is ficticious.
> >     The first line of Sect.Diary contains
> >         REM Sect.Diary
> >     which is relative to the directory of the main program.
> >     Diary is a library. This worked with that other editor!

> Which program is casting the throwback messages? StrongED simply uses
> the path that's passed to it in the throwback message. If the path is
> wrong then it's probably down to the casting program.

Hmm. Very good question. It was probably (my) Reporter!
That picks up the command line used to start it, removes the initial
program and adds what it finds in the library REM.

> The second line shouldn't have 'Processing' in it. There should be a
> line number followed by the error message. Message cast with the wrong
> type?

Indeed. Reporter always sets type 1 ie Error.
Which makes me wonder if it was not Reporter!

> > 2.  Clicking on the error line had no effect (probably due to 1
> > above).

> Yes, this most likely because of 1.
Agreed.

> > 3.  The window was only the width of the first line, so there was no
> >     way to see the vital "Sect.Diary" ERL=26019 at the end of the
> >     second line. How can I change the width?

> The width should be that of the widest line. Not sure why that isn't the
> case. Any chance of you providing me with a (cut down) test case?

I tried a simple case, with a library in a directory ... worked ok.
I tried with debugging in Reporter and the original case ... worked ok.

I hate problems which hide!

I suspect my symptoms are all related - but to what I have no idea as yet.
If (when) it happens again I will try and clarify matters.

Thanks
Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader

--=20