Re: [StrongED] Re: StrongEd v4.70a12 and ModeWhen

In message <5624655805list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <aaa15f2456.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
>    Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <562458cd3flist01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > After changing a ModeWhen file and saving it, I then do a Rescan of
> > > the Modes directory.
>
> > A Rescan modes only updates the list of known modes. It does not cause
> > a reparse of any mode related files.
>
> I can see no hints of that in the help file - so would the menu entry be
> better changed to something like 'Update list' ? To me, 'Rescan Dir'
> seems to imply that it will read the contents of the Modes directory, and
> therefore note *any* changes, not just the list of modes.

The rescan is not recursive, it only scans the Modes directory itself.
Hence it will pick up on new mode directories but won't see changes to
the internals of individual mode directories.

Manual -> Reference -> List of Functions -> RescanModes

> > > However, the changes I have made do not seem to take effect until I
> > > have stopped and restarted StrongEd.
> > >
> > > Is this a bug, or have I missed something in the Help file?
>
> > It's a bug. The reason code for 'rescan ModeWhen file' was rejected as
> > being out of range due to the maximum allowed being one too low. Upped
> > the limit by 1 and now it's working again. Thanks for reporting this.
>
> Now I am confused. You said above that a Rescan of the Modes directory
> *only* updates the list of known modes. But now you have said not reading
> the ModeWhen files was a bug?

Yes, when you save a ModeFile or a ModeWhen then StrongED will detect
that and will automatically reparse that file. Assuming the option
'global choices -> Edit -> Reload all modefiles when one is changed' is
on, which it is by default.

The above also applies to a number of global files: FileLock, ModeList,
ModeLock and Patterns.

StrongED Developer
http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/

--=20