Re: [StrongED] Testing StrongHelp 2.90b1 (Urgent)

On 21 Mar 2017  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <mpro.on4bwl004yfpf0vz7.pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [snip]

>> I have now seen the crash after looking at the NeXTBar 1.30 StrongHelp.
>>
>> It is a bit weird, it does not immediately crash !StrongHelp, that happens
>> later on some other entirely innocent file.
>>
>> Paint gives a "Bad MODE" error but !StrongHlp can render it as can !Draw. A
>> "corrected" version of the file can be extracted from !Draw after which
>> there are no more crashes (yet?).

> The sprite itself is actually fine. It's the data in the squash file
> that is corrupted, there's some spurious data at the end.

> StrongHelp allocates space based on the original length that's given in
> the squash header. Because of the extra data the allocated output buffer
> is overrun. This corrupts the list of free blocks so next time SH needs
> to allocate memory (eg when opening a manual) it may hit the damaged
> part of this list and abort.

> Extracting the sprite and re-squashing it gets rid of the spurious data.
> This stops the corruption of the list of free blocks and therefore SH no
> longer crashes on manuals opened after the NeXTBar manual.

Thanks again, Fred. I've been having a bit of a chaotic time with the
NeXTBar manual on this ARMX6 not always being willing to show its
contents, and I wondered how I would extract the sprite when all I got
trying to open the sprite file was the "bad mode" message. I looked at
the copy of NeXTBar on VRPC, where I could see the contents, and saw
that the sprite there wasn't squashed. I then managed to open the
manual on the ARMX6, and copied over the unsquashed sprite. This seems
to let the manual open without the sprite's being squashed, so I
wonder if the squash is necessary.

Anyway, the problem seems now to be solved, with many thanks.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc Ir) and family