Re: [StrongED] 4.70a11 and EOL tabs

In message <561baa90d4Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "Richard Torrens (lists)" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One thing that has changed (for the worse) is the handling on EOL tabs etc.
>
> It used to be that these were deleted only when the file was saved.

It's slightly more complicated than that. Versions prior to 4.67 would
only strip spaces from the edited line (if the relevant option was on).

This was changed as the behaviour was inconsistent:

  Move cursor with cursor keys -> EOL spaces were stripped.
  Move cursor with mouse -> EOL spaces were not stripped.
  EOL spaces left after a block edit were not removed,
  except on line with curosr

It was changed to strip all EOL spaces when the file was saved. This,
however, is not ideal either. If you edit a source file that's under CVS
then the recorded change set can be much larger than expected due to
stripping of EOL spaces.

> Now they unually, but inconsistently, are removed as soon as the caret
> is removed from the line being edited.

In 4.70 this was changed back to the original regime but differently;
the edited line is now remembered and EOL spaces are always stripped no
matter how the cursor is moved away from it.

This has however reintroduced the block edit problem.

> This can be a bit of a pain: there have been many times when, making a
> list, I have had to replace such a removed EOL tab.

What's probably needed here is an extra option for stripping EOL spaces:

  - Trim trailing spaces of lines before saving
  - Trim trailing spaces of edited line when cursor leaves it

That way trimming of EOL spaces can be set up to one's preference.

StrongED Developer
http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/

--=20