Re: [StrongED] Re: StrongEd v4.70a11 and Modes

In message <09bcbd0c56.gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <aefdbb0c56.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> I also assume that you only need to add to a mode file what is different
> >> to BaseMode.
> >
> > Correct, you put in the ModeFile things that BaseMode doesn't provide or
> > that you want to override for that mode.
>
> > Options set through the Choices window are all stored in the Choices
> > file. StrongED will never alter a ModeFile.
> >
> >> Can I just include the lines I want to change in my TextPrint.Choices? Or
> >> does it have to be a complete copy? I can find no obvious details of
> >> Choices in Help.
> >
> > A Choices file should ideally always be a complete copy. If it's an
> > incomplete file then StrongED will use default values for the missing
> > options.
>
> If either of you you think any of this good advice should be added to
> "Experiments with StrongED" at http://www.riscosblog.co.uk/ then
> please add comments. Thanks.

It's good to see some new articles on StrongED being written.

There are two things that struck me:

 - There's no mention of how to open !StrED_cfg.UserPrefs from StrongED.
   The advantage is that it ensures the correct UserPrefs is opened, ie
   the one used by SE (in case there are multiple copies). Secondly, not
   everyone may now where it's located (cf Jim's recent query about SH).

 - There should be no need for users to modify the ModeList. StrongED is
   distributed without a ModeList file, instead it has a NoModeList file
   which can be renamed to ModeList to make SE use it. However that's
   really for advanced users that want to keep multiple mode versions.

StrongED Developer
http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/

--=20