Re: [StrongED] Re: StrongEd v4.70a11 and Modes

In message <560cc6dcc0list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <aefdbb0c56.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
>    Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <560cae9789list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Martin <list01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > In article <66d1ae0b56.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
> > >    Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > > The reason I am interested in modes is that I want to print text at a
> > > reduced size, say 99 chars/line and 99 lines/page. I suspected the
> > > only way to do this was to create a TextPrint mode which did this,
> > > hopefully with just the font sizes different.
>
> > You need to alter the wrapwidth to 99 as the print-out is wrapline
> > based. Also make sure that you've got a white background set.
>
> I discovered the colour problem the hard way, as I am using the
> alternative colours. Came out largely black until I changed the Global
> Choices back to normal!

Initial testing is best done with PrintPDF or SPrinter to avoid wasting
ink and paper. I used them a lot when developing the graphics printing
mode.

It might be a good idea to make the colour scheme used for printing
selectable by adding an option for it to the print dialogue box.

> > Use the Font section to set up the outline font (this is always used for
> > graphics mode printing regardless what the font type for the screen is).
>
> I was not aware of that! And, I can find no mention of it in the Help!
> Not much about printing capabilities at all.

There is little in the manual concerning the GUI as that's all taken
care of through interactive help.

> So, as I normally use a bitmap for the screen, if I change the font &
> size to be suitable for printing, it might do exactly what I want for
> that mode?

Yes, but see below.

> > > Is this the best way to enable printing using a smaller font size than
> > > the display?
>
> > It depends on what font type and wrapwidth you use for the display. If
> > it's a bitmap font and the wrapwidth for display and printing are the
> > same then you can configure the outline font for printing.
>
> Which seems to answer my question above!
> Althought colours & Wrapwidth may be a problem.

All considered I think that a separate mode will be the best option. It
allows you to set it up specifically for printing, eg wrapwidth. If you
make sure that ColoursAlt and ColoursStd are exactly the same then it
won't matter which colour scheme you use for display.

StrongED Developer
http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/

--=20