Re: [StrongED] Re: / Wimplog and styleguide

On 2017-01-17 15:14, Peter Young wrote:
On 17 Jan 2017  Jeremy Nicoll - ml sed
<jn.ml.sed45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In an OS ...

Good wisdom, but I don't think it applies to this situation. The
message occurs a good two to three minutes after start-up.

It's immaterial when it happens; the issue is the process used by the
issuing part of the system.  If it uses a method guaranteed to work
early on before the WIMP starts, then even after the WIMP has started
it'll still use the pre-WIMP method.

I suppose !Reporter would show it up,

Probably; I assume that !Reporter intercepts more primitive message-
issuing mechanisms, eg VDU drivers.

but I can't get my head around that app.

Although it's primarily written for use in program debugging, it evolved to have support for intercepting messages issued in lots of ways. Some people only run it after they've had a problem and then try to recreate the problem; my view was always that it was better to run it all the time with all features turned on, then if a problem occurred you more than likely already had as much information as possible logged. Even if you yourself don't understand the things it can tell you, a saved !Reporter log can be very useful to someone else trying to solve something.

!Reporter setup is modestly complicated beause there's stuff that has to happen right at the start of boot, well before the WIMP starts, to log all the actions the machine takes in the early stages of booting, pre desktop & WIMP. There's also options that
dictate how the desktop interface works.

What aspect of this baffles you?

In any case the original question was about !WimpLOG.  I don't know what
facilities that offers.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own

--=20