Re: [StrongED] Re: MiniTime on ARMX6

On 24 Dec 2016  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <dedb1ef355.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 23 Dec 2016  Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> No, don't. IIRC, the RO***Hook directories aren't used by the boot process,
>>> beyond getting things set up the first time that you use the machine. There
>>> are also several directories, with content applicable to different vintages
>>> of system.
>>
>>> The 1.36 will be checking for a bare minimum version required: it will load
>>> whatever version is in the appropriate Modules.Toolbox folder and then
>>> error
>>> if it's too old. It doesn't demand that it must be exactly 1.36.
>>
>> Thanks, Steve, but I've already reported the solution to the original
>> problem.

> Sorry, but I don't see that as the solution. You've just side-stepped
> the issue by removing the Toolbox module. It doesn't address the fact
> that of something is loading an earlier version. Which will either be
> a copy of UnplugTbox somewhere in Boot or an application run at Boot.

I was vaguely aware that this was the situation, but was rather
ignoring it, ostrich-like!

> An applications seems unlikely as it should now complain that it can't
> find the Toolbox module so my money is on UnplugTbox and I'd suggest
> using Locate to search Boot for it. If it's there then it will also
> replace other ROM toolbox modules which may create similar problems
> somewhere in the future.

I've searched !Boot with Locate, using the strings UnplugTbox and
Unplug*, and there's no sign of it anywhere. Upthread I checked the
!Run files of all the apps that are run before Transient at start-up,
and none of them made any reference to Toolbox.

> The other unanswered question is how Transient can be running with
> Toolbox 1.52 loaded when it requests the 1.53 version. As said, I can
> only see that happening if the check isn't executed and if that's the
> case then I'd like to know as that indicates there's a bug in Transient.

I have no idea, but can only say that Transient did run in the
presence of Toolbox 1.52. Whether that means a bug or not, only Fred
can say. Sorry to be so negative!

Happy Christmas to all,

Peter.

--