Re: [StrongED] filetype &000

In message <df1b5f9955.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel <stred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today when I noticed that the file landed in the target directory as
> type &000 and length 0, I went to re-save it, typing "obey" in
> StrongEd's save dialogue.

The file length being 0 is worrying as this should not happen even when
filetype conversion fails. However I've been unable to reproduce this.

> This produced a "StrongEd may have gone wrong" error message. I said
> Continue.

More details about errors are always useful, in particular the abort
address as then I can see where things went wrong and possibly fix it.

> Now instead of typing anything in the save dialogue's Type field, I
> clicked Menu there -- and again got the "may have gone wrong" message.
> Could this mean StrongEd has internally lost its pointers to some
> table that provides this menu? (Possibly a red herring.)

No, I don't think so. To try and test this I deleted all File$Type_
variables and then opened the Save box. Trying to open the filetype now
indeed aborts. Next I created a single File$Type_ variable, now there's
no abort.

This suggests that all File$Type_ variables on your system somehow got
unset. Next time it happens do a *Show File$Type_* in a TaskWindow to
see if this is the case.

> Could this mean there's a bug in the Filer, something along the lines
> of internally losing its pointers to the table that relates textual
> filetypes (e.g. "obey") to their hex codes.

The Filer doesn't handle filetype conversions, that's done by FileSwitch
which uses the File$Type_ variables for both types of conversion.

> Fred Graute  wrote on 3 May:
> > When you enter a filetype name in StrongED's SaveBox does it find the
> > corresponding hex number?
>
> No.
>
> > If you enter a hex filetype does the right filetype name appear?
>
> Yes.

Are you sure of these results? If the variables are unset then both
types of conversion should fail.

  Name -> number would say 'file type is unrecognized'
  Number -> name would result in a hex filetype (&xxx)

If Number -> name does work correctly then something really strange is
going on, but I've no idea what that could be.