Re: [StrongED] Occasional crash with StrongMen

On 1 Dec 2014  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <a825186f54.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 29 Nov 2014  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Occasional StrongMen aborts on Menu click at left edge of screen]

>>> If it is 1.27b3 then next time the abort happens could please you do a
>>> *ShowRegs in a TaskWindow and send me the output. It might yield some
>>> clues as to what the cause is.
>>
>> Alas, it happened again yesterday evening with 1.27 b3
>>
>> 30 Nov 22:34:27 000 80000002: Error from (unknown): Internal error:
>> abort on data transfer at &0000A320
>>
>> *showregs
>> Register dump (stored at &2000AE30) is:
>> R0  = 0001F73C R1  = 00237C40 R2  = 01909BDB R3  = 205984A4
>> R4  = 00000800 R5  = 00000010 R6  = 00000002 R7  = 0001F73C
>> R8  = 01909BDB R9  = 00237C40 R10 = FA208000 R11 = FA207F5C
>> R12 = 0000DE28 R13 = 0000F2E0 R14 = 0000B744 R15 = 0000A320
>> Mode USR32 flags set: nzcvqjggggeAift        PSR = 00000110

> Thanks, that very useful. It's aborting on the address in r0 which
> should point to the start of the loaded StrongMenu file. The address
> does look a bit too big, my StrongMenu file is loaded at about &18800.

> It may be that your StrongMenu file is much bigger leading to a larger
> menu (which stored below the StrongMenu file) causing the address to be
> bigger. So question is; How large is your StrongMenu file?

Right now my StrongMenu file is weighing in at 47K, but it's always
changing in size as the bottom bit, the "Last ***" bit gets added to
and changed. As I rely on this bit so much, I have the "Keep" bits of
this part of the file set at anywhere between 20 and 50. However,
while looking at this file, I find that I've inadvertently set the
Keep in "Last applications" to 500 instead of 50; a senile moment
indeed. I wonder if that could be relevant? I've changed it back to
the intended 50, anyway. This, the Last Applications, is one part of
the file I hardly ever look at with the menu click on the left of the
screen; I'm mostly interested in last directories, last text files and
occasionally The rest. (Aside: I do wish that Windows would let me
look at the last used folders, too.)

Now, should I manually trim this part of the menu down to a more
sensible size, to see if this solves the problem?

This brings me to something else that I wonder and worry about: how
much should a programmer worry about the silly things that a user
might get up to using his program, things that he couldn't have
envisaged that someone might do?

Thanks anyway for worrying about this!

> The address may get corrupted but I can't see anything obvious in the
> source. Without a reproducible case to work out where the corruption
> comes from it's going to be difficult to fix this.

In view of the above, perhaps it's me rather than you that have
something to fix, but what's the best way to go about it?

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc Re) and family