Re: [StrongED] StrongHelp 2.88a1 available

In message <c3602fcf3b45d4bf46fd1d02ef82070c.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          pdmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, November 7, 2014 12:18 am, Fred Graute wrote:
> > In message <ecdcf76154.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
> >           Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> In message <c138376686671f575ba54ab203b6df08.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>           pdmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> I'll compare the two versions and see if there's anything I could use
> >> to improve my version.
> >
> > Done that now and the reduced use of Obey$Dir [1] is a clear improvement
> > but the changes to GetCountry I don't get. It tries to solve what seems
> > to be a non-existent problem and actually introduces a flaw.
> >
> > If AppName$Language & ResFind$LanguagesPref are unset and no resources
> > can be found for the configured country it falls back to UK. If UK
> > is there then the variable ResFind$LanguagesSuff will be ignored,
> > which is incorrect. UK should only be used as the final fallback.
> >
> I agree. It is redundant here and incorrectly promotes UK as you describe.
> It turns out I was apparently solving a problem in one of my programs, but
> in the wrong place.

Thanks for confirming that.

> > [1] I'd prefer if ResFind didn't use Obey$Dir at all. My copy of ResFind
> > insists that the AppName is given as a parameter and that AppName$Dir
> > is defined. This makes ResFind a lot cleaner.
> >
> Yes, I did mention in the comments in ResFind v3.00 that I thought its use
> was still dubious, and let others decide whether or not to keep it in
> ResFind.

I've tidied up my version of ResFind, and Obey$Dir is completely gone.
It mandates that the application name is given as a parameter and that
the system variable App$Dir is defined. An error is raised if they are
not.

It also builds ResDir and ResPath in a different, more natural IMO, way
which removes the need to check for duplicate path elements.

I'll send you a copy of what I've dubbed, for now, ResFind 4.00 so you
can have look at it. Let me know what you think.

StrongED Developer