Re: [StrongED] TaskWindow in StrongEd 4.70a6

Fred Graute, on 3 Nov, wrote:

> In message <c6ede26054.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <f11cdc6054.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >   David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > In message <7bd3d26054.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
> > >   Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > [snip Kill All is a bit too literal]

> > > The two VRPCs have different CallASWIs, 0.03 and 0.05, both look the
> > > real deal.

> > > This OS4.02 has CallASWI 0.11 and also looks real. This is ROOL's
> > > current version as found in their !System for pre-OS5 machines.
> >
> > Sometimes a bit of lateral thinking is required.
>
> Indeed, well done!
>
> > It is a little bit beyond my comprehension for the moment but if I kill
> > CallASWI Kill All works on both OS4.39 and OS4.02.
> >
> > Hmm!!

There is something not right here. 4.70a6 seems to be just fine on both
OS4.02 and OS 4.39 without CallASWI.

> Had a peruse through the Select change logs and it turns out that support
> for OS_HeapSort32 has been added on 20 Aug 2004 (some time after Select
> 3i4). Loading CallASWI > 0.02 means there's 2 implementations of that SWI
> which may explain the abort. Why this also fixes RO4.02 is beyond me ATM.

As far as I can see neither OS4.02 nor OS4.39 offer SWI OS_HeapSort32, they
are the same in this respect. OS4.39 is Select 3i4, so OS_HeapSort32 is
probably added with the 32bit ROL OS, it is present in the A9home's OS4.42.

The CallASWI rmensure in 4.70a6 needs a tweak, CallASWI should not be called
on OS4.42. I think that is the reason that ROL introduced a dummy CallASWI
module, which would need to be flagged as 32bit, to side-step problems
caused by applications wrongly calling the module.

http://www.riscos.com/support/developers/riscos6/legacy/dummymodules.html

> It might be easier to reinstate the internal HeapSort than trying to find
> which CallASWI to use on what version of the OS, which looks to be a
> fiddly job now.

I get the feeling that answer might be close to hand, it would be a shame to
bin a lot of work five minutes too soon.

> The whole thing reminds of a catch phrase by a certain comic duo. :-(

OTOH, I might be talking "Rubbish".

--
David Pitt