Re: [StrongED] RFC; Changing the choices system

Fred Graute, on 26 Oct, wrote:

> In message <mpro.ndyifl01hfh6a023q.pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Fred Graute, on 24 Oct, wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Over to all of you, any and all feedback is most welcome!
> >
> > There is always the risk that I have still not grasped the full extent
> > of the subtleties but that may in itself be reasonable feedback, the aim
> > is presumably not to defeat the user.
>
> No, that's not the aim, quite the contrary in fact but with a large set of
> options comes a certain amount of complexity. As I already said in my
> reply to Jeremy the aim is to eradicate the current inconsistencies and to
> have a more fine grained system. At the moment, scopes seem to be the best
> way to achieve that but it can be confusing for the unwary.

I feel it incumbent on me to play the role of the unwary.

[snip]

> > If I set 80 in Mode Choices then that is the default for all new or
> > subsequent windows, views that is. If I individually alter the width
> > some views from their lower toolbars then those over-rides only apply to
> > those views and Mode Choices should still show the default 80 no matter
> > which view Mode Choices is accessed from and no matter what that view is
> > actually displaying.
>
> Currently changes to the Mode Choices can also affect the current text or
> view. Are you saying that you'd rather not have that and that only mode
> level should be altered?

I think I was saying that. I might not want the change to affect the next
view opened.

> I can see some appeal in that but we'd then need a new way to change
> settings at text/view level (menus, different dbox?). It would avoid the
> confusion of different scopes showing different values at the expense of
> having more ways to change the settings.

I think I did see a three level hierarchy, global (all modes), mode and
view/text. In my vision a change to the Mode Choices is a change to the
default value and would be applied to subsequent views and not the current
one, an override of the default would be done from the lower toolbar. OTOH
the choice of scope as illustrated in the demo prog would do the same but
perhaps with less clarity. Tricky, he said unhelpfully.

A developer might make much more intensive use of StrongED than I ever do,
particularly if developing something complex like StrongED itself, be much
more aware of the inconsistencies than I am and see these with more clarity.

I do hope this is of use and is not just user generated muddle.
--
David Pitt