Re: [StrongED] RFC; Changing the choices system

In message <b280275254.harriet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Harriet Bazley <harriet.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5 Oct 2014 as I do recall,
>           Fred Graute  wrote:
>
> > In message <mpro.ncv8360013sm10tgs.pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > > So far I only see three Choices options to be required :-
> > >
> > > 1. Global, all windows in all Modes.
> > > 2. Mode, all windows in that Mode.
> > > 2. View, any single window.
> >
> > Add 'Text, all views on this text' between 'Mode' and 'View' and I think
> > that I can live with that.
> >
> > > I am not too sure, as yet, about the 'Text' or 'View' distinction.
> >
> > There are options that cannot be set at 'View' level (things like
> > newline type, tab insertion, hardwrap) because if they could then the
> > result of editing would depend on which view you used. I use multiple
> > views on the same text regularly, eg in Dump mode one view in Asm mode
> > the other in Ascii or byte mode.
> >

> It doesn't (as a user) seem to me to make sense to have a special set of
> choices for multiple copies of the same text -- can't this behaviour simply
> be a 'special case', in that editing such options on "View" level
> automatically duplicates those changes to any other views on the same file?

Why would it need to be a special case? If you apply View options at
Text level then all views on the same text will have their settings
updated.

Being able to set options for one particular view can be useful IMO. For
example having two views on a text, one with a small font size to get a
good overview of the code structure and another at a larger size to work
on.

The only way to do this currently is to run two copies of StrongED. Hmm,
I guess you could also clone the mode and open a copy of the text in the
cloned mode. Both options have the down side that one view isn't updated
while the text is being edited.