Re: [StrongED] RFC; Changing the choices system

In message <mpro.ncv8360013sm10tgs.pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fred Graute, on 1 Oct, wrote:

[snip]

> > The levels that I'm envisioning are:
> >
> >  - This view
> >  - This text
> >  - This mode
> >  - All views
> >  - All texts
> >  - All modes
> >
> > Here's a small app showing how this might look:
> > http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/archives/misc/cfgscopes.zip
> >
> > If you have any thoughts on this then please join in!
>
> I have to say my first impression is of some over-complication. OTOH there
> is nothing wrong with a bit of learning curve.

Yes, it's basically the all-singing, all-dancing version. It essentially
combines the old mode choices with most of what StrongSet can do.

It's okay, I guess, for those of us familiar with scoping but for people
who've never programmed it may be difficult to take in, especially when
visual clues are absent (see also my reply to Gavin).

> For example open two BaseMode windows, then in one select line numbers and
> OK in its Mode Choices. Line numbers appear in that window only but
> accessing Mode Choices from the other window shows line numbers as switched
> on when they are not in that window. A third window will open with line
> numbers. How would one subsequently turn on line numbers in the first
> window?

You'd need to turn off line numbers, click OK. Then turn line numbers
back on and click OK again. This is because only changed options are
applied and at mode level the line numbers are already on.

> As another example it would be useful if it were possible to alter the caret
> in all Modes with a single selection rather than having to do all Modes
> individually. An integrated Global/Mode Choices system with a 'scope
> selector' would enable that.

That was one of the design goals for the new system, making it easy to
change options for all modes simultaneously.

> So far I only see three Choices options to be required :-
>
> 1. Global, all windows in all Modes.
> 2. Mode, all windows in that Mode.
> 2. View, any single window.

Add 'Text, all views on this text' between 'Mode' and 'View' and I think
that I can live with that.

> I am not too sure, as yet, about the 'Text' or 'View' distinction.

There are options that cannot be set at 'View' level (things like
newline type, tab insertion, hardwrap) because if they could then the
result of editing would depend on which view you used. I use multiple
views on the same text regularly, eg in Dump mode one view in Asm mode
the other in Ascii or byte mode.

StrongED Developer