Re: [StrongED] RFC; Changing the choices system

In message <ce2cb35054.gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <edbb825054.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Well, I'd love to hear them - that's what RFCs are for after all.
>
> I think it is natural that preferences chosen from the iconbar should
> be global ones, whereas preferences chosen from a StrongED window
> should be local; but how local? For the given mode, for the given
> text, or for the given view?  What is needed is a consistent interface
> that makes it clear.

Exactly, and that's what I'm trying to find. The idea has been ringing
inside my head for a long time but the increase in complexity stopped
me from actively pursuing it.

Lately the oddities began to bug more and more, such as not being able
to change the font for a single view even though that would be possible
technically.

That's why I've decided to put the idea out there and see what people
think.

> I had thought of some filer-like interface, so that Mode, Text and view
> were like nested directories between which one could move as one moves
> between filer windows. Then the actual application or saving of the
> preference would be a leaf in this tree.

This sounds a bit like the choices system used by DigitalCD. Not exactly
a Filer-like interface, more a tree arrangement, but it does make the
nesting more visible. Not sure how easy it would be to fit this into the
current mode choices window.

StrongED Developer