Re: [StrongED] Transient oddity.

In message <427b8eca53.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2014  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <e4d24bca53.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> If Transient is run early in the start-up sequence, it throws up the
> >> following errors:
> >>
> >> 13 Jan 13:51:36 100   Title    : Transient
> >> 13 Jan 13:51:36 100   Task     : Transient
> >> 13 Jan 13:51:36 100   Message  : Unknown or missing variable
> >> (code2300)
>
> > Line 2300 refers to the Iconbar object using Iconbar%. The variable
> > hasn't been set because Transient hasn't received the Toolbox event
> > (Toolbox_ObjectAutoCreated) for its creation yet.
>
> > This can be fixed by adding 'Iconbar% = 0' to the Initial file but that
> > only fixes the 'Unknown or missing variable' error.
>
> > The real problem is that not one Toolbox_ObjectAutoCreated event is
> > received when Transient is placed early in the start-up sequence, for
> > any of its objects. Presumably the Toolbox hasn't been fully initialised
> > yet and fails to deliver these events - it looks like the Wimp filters
> > the Toolbox puts around Toolbox applications aren't there yet.
>
> >> My solution was to run transient a bit after the main start-up using
> >> Ian Hamilton's !Delay, but the original poster found that moving
> >> Transient to the bottom of the run at boot list worked for him.
>
> > Yes, I find the same here. Starting Transient slightly later must have
> > allowed enough time for the Toolbox modules to fully initialise.
>
> Thanks for the erudite explanation, Fred. It seems that I stumbled on
> the correct solution!

There may be another solution. After writing the above I remembered that
ToggleBD had a similar problem which I fixed by creating all the Toolbox
objects manually. Doing it that way means you'll get the object's ID on
exit from the SWI call and hence no need for Toolbox_ObjectAutoCreated
messages.

This seems to work as I can now place Transient early in the start-up
sequence and it runs without error something it didn't do previously.

StrongED Developer