Re: [StrongED] StrongED 4.70a3 available

In message <b023efc953.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
          Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>

> Another bug fix: Search & Replace failed when using simple search.
>
> Cheers,
> Fred.

Firstly, I'd like to say how the new fonts display is an awesome upgrade for me, as StrongEd in bitmap mode is my most used computer application.
I'll be able to pick straight away when Edit has opened instead of StrongEd now also :-)
The font sprite size seems to be 32 times the font height and 9 times the vertical height so I'll have a go at making my 10x20 X font sometime.
I am only using a 1366x768 LED at the moment, I imagine a denser HD display might allow bigger fonts.
Another thought I had was that when mimicking a low res font from a vintage calculator, It will be possible to double size the font by making a 10x14 from a 5x7 for example.

Generally, IMHO, I believe we have been let down by outline fonts trying to look like printed material, and bitmap fonts trying to look like outline fonts.
I think that the /right/ bitmap font can relay the character 'ID' to the brain
faster than the alternatives.
A custom outline font may meet the criteria one day, but will still have the same processing overheads.
BTW I think RISC OS 5.20 has improved outline font rendering quite a lot, an improvement for DTP people.

I am experiencing the same branch through zero error when saving choices>fonts as David.
I possibly cause the subsequent error when truying to open a second window, where continue will allow you to rather than opting to quit StrongEd.

Thanks heaps, Ron M.