Re: [StrongED] mode file for Impression DDF -- syntax Qs

Fred Graute  wrote on 11 Dec:

>> Many many thanks, Fred.  The "how to create modes" textfile is an
>> enlightenment for me.  Have never seen that before.  Who wrote it?

> I did. Don't remember exactly when or why, probably as an explanation
> to someone, and then kept it in case it proved useful later on. It did
> :-)
> It only explains just enough to get started with writing a mode.
> There's a lot more to modes than creating a directory and a basic
> ModeFile.

Fred, I'm taking you up on something you said yesterday in the thread
about the "manual at Torrens site gone AWOL".  You said this manual is
quite out of date anyway and that we might as well ask here.  OK, some
questions arise from playing with the basic DDF mode you sent.

    (1)
The ColoursStd and ColoursAlt files have many lines like this:
     # Mode Colours
     Foreground_Text:00000007
     Background_Text:00000000
 - What do the EIGHT-digit (hex) numbers mean?  I'm used to six-digit
RGB colours in other programs.
 - This particular example confuses me in that foreground and
background colour codes look nearly identical.

     (2)
The Fold command works nicely on the style definitions at the top of a
DDF file, except that the last fold erroneously hides the beginning of
the actual text as well.  These lines in the Modefile seem to be what
controls the folding:

        CommandEnd * "}"
        FoldStart "{" [\n] @0 "define"
        FoldEnd  "}"
     End

     FoldParm1(FoldStart,FoldEnd,,NoCase)

 - Am I right to guess that the syntax in lines 2,3,4 is the same as
used in the Advanced Search dialogue?
 - If so, the   [\n]   would mean that a newline is optional.  But it
shouldn't be, because in DDF a "{" followed immediately by a newline
marks the beginning of a style definition; if it's followed by
anything else, it's part of the text.
 - What does   @0   mean?

     (3)
I put the folder "DDF" (containing all the stuff for the mode) here:
     !StrED_cfg.UserPrefs.Modes.DDF
When I make changes, does iconbar "Rescan > Modes" pick them up, or
does that routine deal only with stuff in
     !StrongED.Defaults.Modes   ?
I ask because when I took the aforementioned [] away from \n and then
did Rescan, the folding behaviour did not change.

     (4)
If I want to maintain consistent behaviour on the copies of StrongEd
running on the three RiscOS machines here, where should I store this
sort of stuff?  (Userprefs, choices, defaults, etc)

Thanks again.  --jim

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk