Re: [StrongED] "wrapwidth" setting

In article <1b39079d53.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>, Fred Graute
<fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <539d045079riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [big snip]

> > Inserting StrongED$WrapWidth = 132 in an HTML file overrides the
> > figure in Softwrap in Mode Choices (wrapwidth figure of 132
> > appears in the Information bar). This confirms Martin's earlier
> > posting. If I insert the command string into HTML's ModeFile
> > (with a comment prefix character... #) and saved in
> > StrED_cfg.UserPrefs it gets ignored. What am I doing incorrectly
> > please?

> Hmm.. I not sure here. Maybe you've misunderstood.

> Inserting StrongED$WrapWidth = 132 will only affect the file it's
> been added to. So, adding it to the HTML ModeFile dictates the
> wrapwidth for the ModeFile but not for any other files that you
> open, including HTML files.

Right - huge misunderstanding on my part :-(

> > When this command string is working should I expect the window to
> > extend horizontally to this wrapwidth? This is obviously what I
> > would like to happen but doesn't.

> No, it will set the wrapwidth for the window to the specified
> value. As David and Tony have already explained the window itself
> will be opened at the width set in Global choices > Windows > View.

> To make the window open at full width you'll need to add use the
> Onload keyword and the FullView function as I've shown earlier.

OK - I have now got this command to work :-))

> > David and Tony's suggestions earlier on don't appear to work the
> > way I expected. If I drag out a window for an HTML to WW=132 and
> > save its Global choices > Windows > View it alters the setting I
> > made for my TextFile.

> The width set in Global choices > Windows > View applies to all
> views being opened regardless of the Mode used to display them.

I have clearly misunderstood how the whole Wrapwidth process works and
have for years. Unlike most of you I've struggled to understand the
finer points of StrongED but still find it an indispensable aid.

Many thanks for your excellent and clear comments.

Best regards

Richard