In message <539d045079riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <c683379c53.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>, Fred Graute
> <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <539c2ff993riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Ahh! - that explains it. No wonder SE objects.

>> Please excuse my pedantry here. Using StrongED$WrapWidth inside a
>> ModeFile is fine but you must put it in a comment line as otherwise
>> StrongED will try to parse it.

> Inserting StrongED$WrapWidth = 132 in an HTML file overrides the
> figure in Softwrap in Mode Choices (wrapwidth figure of 132 appears in
> the Information bar). This confirms Martin's earlier posting. If I
> insert the command string into HTML's ModeFile (with a comment prefix
> character... #) and saved in StrED_cfg.UserPrefs it gets ignored. What
> am I doing incorrectly please?

Referring to the second sentence.

No, the setting in HTML.Modefile is not ignored, it is only applied
when that file is viewed. I have just tried it here and the default
StrongMode WrapWidth of 256 is overidden.

From the "Options embedded in the text" StrongHelp page, "When
StrongED loads a file, it scans through the first kilobytes to see if
it can find any embedded configuration options".

The StrongED$ variables are applied on viewing the file containing
them. They are not syntax recognised by ModeFiles, therefore when in a
ModeFile they are not applied to the viewed files. They do have to be
inactive lines, commented out, so that the program that would normally
run the filetype ignores them. In the same way StrongED ignores them
when it parses them within a ModeFile.

Hope that helps.

--
David Pitt