Re: [StrongED] C Mode

In message <7c53c79353.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <ac93b09353.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <d35e8e9353.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >   Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to turn the red function expansion/contraction off?
> > > They are working fine while viewing a c file, but when I edit they
> > > dont seem to update, (red arrow can be midway in a function) and they
> > > become a distraction.
> >
> > Folding is On by default in the C Mode.

So it is. Shouldn't be though, it should be up to the user to decide if
they want to use folding not the mode author. I'll update the C mode to
correct the/my mistake.

> > It can be turned off permanently in the Mode Choices Display section,
> > but that has no immediate effect, the page needs to be reloaded.

> > There is also a transitory On/Off on the view window menu, the bottom
> > entry 'C' in this case.

You can also use Ctrl-KpMinus and Ctrl-KpPlus to fold/unfold a text, and
Shift-KpMinus and Shift-KpPlus to fold/unfold at the caret position.
The Kp refers to the numeric keypad.

> > And select and adjust clicks on the red arrows do expand and contract.
> >
> > > I found that physical line numbering is necessary, as logical will not
> > > count the contracted function lines, which is useless when tracing
> > > the error. I didn't find a path to a readme for the C mode from the
> > > program interface, in a simple way anyway.
> >
> > Is not physical numbering the best option anyway as logical numbering
> > counts line wraps?
> >
> It was probably clear to the person who named them what the difference
> is, but the words dont describe the difference very well. I would have
> thought 'physical' would be actual lines taken up on a page as printed
> out perhaps, but it is the reverse.

Physical lines are lines that have a 'real' delimiter, ie a newline at
start and end. A logical line is created for display purposes so that
each line is entirely visible when longer that the view width.

At least that's my take on it. Zap uses the terms the other way round. A
look on the internet didn't provide a clear-cut answer so I asked here.
Most of those that responded agreed with my view and that led to the
current naming.

> > I seem to remember a discussion in the dim and distant on the
> > interpretation of logical and physical, some other program used the
> > same terms but oppositely.
> >
> I think different names relating to programming vs page format might
> be a better description.

Perhaps it would be clearer to use the terms TextLines and WrapLines
which is in keeping with the manual and function naming (StartOfTLine,
StartOfWLine) as well as with how they are referred to in the source.