[StrongED] Re: StrongED and Lua

> I saw in the ANS newsletter that RiscLua 5.70 is available, and went
> to the website and downloaded it, though in fact it identified itself
> as 5.60 when it arrived.

Ouch. Thanks for pointing that out. It was a crucial misprint.
Download again; it should be OK now.

> However, now dragging a Lua script to the Apply icon does simply
> nothing, with plain drag, shift-drag or control-drag! Am I dong
> something wrong, perhaps, or is there a real problem now with doing
> this? Doing this has worked for me in the past.

Had !lua been "seen" by the filer, i.e. filer_booted, when you tried
this? Putting !lua in !Boot.Resources is a good way of ensuring that
this happens at startup.

I too have StrongED 4.69 and dragging to the Apply icon worked straight
off after I had installed the new version of StrongED. It is the
application !ScriptSED in !StrongED.Defaults.Tools that sorts out
all the dragging to the Apply icon stuff. In !ScriptSED.Languages.lua
the *command "lua" is used. This command gets defined when !lua is
filer_booted. If !lua has not been filer booted then nothing will
happen because the system macro "lua" will be an empty string.

Let me know if this information does not sort your problem out.

> I can't find any information about Lua in StrongED's help file

Well StrongED can potentially cope with any scripting language
so long as the appropriate Obey file is in !ScriptSED.Languages.
I do not think Fred has got round to supplying Help files for
each of the ones supplied.

> or about StrongED in RiscLua's help file.

See "transforming text". Alternatively have a look at "Doing more with
text" ( http://www.wra1th.plus.com/str_ed_ex/a.html ) in a modern
browser that can show tooltips. It is a bit of a mess in NetSurf
because that has not implemented the :hover attribute in CSS yet.

I am afraid the sample Lua scripts supplied in !ScriptSED are a bit
out of date. Maybe I should make my own available for download from
my site?

If you have any problems, feel free to email.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/