Re: [StrongED] StrongED 4.69b6 available

In message <fd537f7453.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2013  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The sixth beta release of StrongED 4.69 can found on the website:
> > http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/archives/releases/se469b6.zip
>
> > As always, all feedback is welcome and appreciated!
>
> Many thanks, and I've just got round to updating it, and many thanks
> for the continued work. (Yes, I did do it properly, and transferred
> over my adaptations after I got it running!)

Thanks. Yes, update is just like moving to RISC OS 5.20, clean copy
first then add in customised bits. :-)

> No problem at all with the app, but I now have problems, I discover,
> with the StrongHelp manual. If I try to search the manual, I get:
>
> 01 Aug 18:06:35 000 80000002: Error from StrongHelp: Internal error:
> abort on data transfer at &206AD9C4
>
> *where 206AD9C4
> Address 206AD9C4 is not in any module

The 'not in any module' bit is probably because StrongHelp has already
been killed off.

If you could try the following that would be very helpful:

After running StrongED and StrongHelp, grab the StrongHelp module with
StrongED: Click Adjust over the iconbar icon, and select Dump mode. In
the window that pops up click on 'RAM Module' and select StrongHelp from
the menu. Note of the first address in the top left of the window.

Now search the manual to trigger the abort. Note the abort address too.
Open a TaskWindow and enter 'ShowRegs'. Let me know the two addresses
and the output of ShowRegs. Hopefully that'll allow me to fix this.

> Going back to the previous 4.69 beta, I now find I get the same crash.
> Is it just me, and, if so, what am I likely to have done wrong,
> please?

It seems that the manual contains something that StrongHelp (on ARMini)
doesn't like, probably something that results in an unaligned load.

Is there anyone here that could try this on a Raspberry Pi?
First in ARMv5 compatibility mode and then in ARMv7 mode. If it works in
ARMv5 but fails in ARMv7 then that strongly points to an unaligned load.

> Oh, and what I was trying to search for was: what does "nearest" mean
> with respect to the tabs setting?

'Nearest' attempts to align the cursor to the nearest start of a 'word'
on the first non-empty line above or below. This may sound difficult
but it's actually quite simple.

Lets say we have the following two lines, with the cursor being placed
at the location of the @.

  This is the first line
  Second@ *   *     *

Pressing Tab moves the cursor forward to the * position, next press to
second * and so on.

If the line above is non-empty then it will use that, else it looks at
the line below. If the line below is empty too it looks 2 lines up etc.

Hopefully that clears it up. Just experiment a bit.

StrongED Developer