Re: [StrongED] ToggleBD 1.03 available

On 21 Mar 2013, Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <faa7fc2f53.old_coaster@old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
>           Tony Moore <old_coaster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 19 Mar 2013, Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > In message <4ab0d32e53.old_coaster@old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
> > >           Tony Moore <old_coaster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > [snip StrongHelp]

[snip]

> > Meanwhile, is it possible to unset the option?
>
> Only by hacking the ToggleBD module.

[snip details]

Yes, that works. Many thanks.

[snip]

> > > I still don't understand why that is, here using 5.19 it works
> > > fine both on the Iyonix and RPCEmu.
> >
> > I wonder if anyone else sees the problem?
>
> There are only two reasons I can think of why this would happen.
> Either the window handle of the backdrop changes

I couldn't comment on that.

> or a window is opened in front of the backdrop (note this also
> includes raising the iconbar).

If a window is opened in front of the backdrop, so that it partially
covers the iconbar, ToggleBD causes the backdrop to cover that part of
the window in the area of the backdrop. The part of the window in the
area of the iconbar remains visible, with the iconbar behind it. The
window stack then comprises backdrop, open window, iconbar.

[snip]

> > For me, ToggleBD needs only to bring the backdrop to the front, on
> > toggle1, and send the backdrop to the back, on toggle2. At present
> > this is best served if Behaviour is set to 'Lower...'.
> >
> > Maybe I've misunderstood something ...
>
> The two behaviours describe what happens when the backdrop has been
> raised, as both behaviours will raise the backdrop when it's at back.

Well, that explains the misunderstanding! With respect, that is not what
is suggested by the names of the options, nor their descriptions in the
StrongHelp Manual.

[snip development]

> 'Raise ...' uses the normal toggle behaviour of the underlying message
> 'ToggleBackdrop', whilst 'Lower ...' explicitly raises and lowers the
> backdrop.

Since 'Lower ...' does exactly what is expected, when running on RO4.39,
5.19 and 6.20, I do not understand the purpose of 'Raise ...'. I would
suggest that it would simplify matters, and avoid at least one problem,
if 'Raise ...' were to be removed: the user would no longer need to make
an arcane choice, and ToggleBD would continue to perform, which it does
very well.

Tony