Re: [StrongED] Re: Fresh 4.69a7 installation

On 24 Feb 2013, Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <ee2ff62153.old_coaster@old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
>           Tony Moore <old_coaster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On 21 Feb 2013, Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > What would be nice to have is for the viewers to be saved
> > > automatically when you close a project, that way the current state
> > > could be preserved across sessions. I'm playing with a few ideas
> > > but as yet nothing solid, suggestions welcome!
> >
> > I would welcome that.
> >
> > Often, I use StrongED to read text files, from Project Gutenberg,
> > which, since they usually comprise several hundred pages, cannot be
> > read at one sitting. Previously, I saved two shorcuts to the
> > pinboard; one linking to the text, the other linking to a file in
> > which I recorded the current line number - when I remembered to do
> > so!
>
> Would it not be easier, in this case, to keep the file loaded?
> StrongED, by default, remembers loaded files when it's quit so that
> you can carry on where you'd left off.

If the window is open, when StongED is quit, StrongED re-opens the same
view when it is re-started, This is fine, but I wouldn't necessarily
want to continue reading the text, as first task, when re-booting.

> If you quit with the file being iconised then it will be re-opened
> iconised so keeping it won't get in your way much.

That doesn't work here (RO 6.20, StrongED 4.69a1). The icon produced by
clicking the iconise button doesn't survive re-booting (even if pins
are saved), however the file can be re-opened via the WindowList.

> > On first saving the view, one would need to be able to rename the
> > LoW file but, after that, I would like to see it saved
> > automatically, inside StrongED, on quitting the parent window.
>
> The downside of this is that it would only allow one such file to
> exist, and StrongED would have to remember its name somehow.

My thinking was that StrongED could maintain a table of paths, contained
in all the saved LoW files. When StrongED claimed a file, it would refer
to the LoW path table and, if the path existed there, would run the
corresponding LoW file.

> > On loading any file, could StrongED check for the presence of a
> > relevant LoW file and, if there, adopt its parameters? If so, this
> > would enable a file to be opened, maintaining the same view. without
> > user intervention.
>
> Interesting idea but how will StrongED know which LoW file pertains to
> the file being opened?

From a look-up table, as above.

> If an LoW file opens a file with parameters then things are easy but
> if you open a file and StrongED has to find the parameters somewhere
> things get more complicated.

The parameters are contained in the LoW file.

> Your idea would work if there was only LoW file, basically an extended
> file history, but it would prevent a project oriented way of working.

I think not. If a file were to be launched, and that file path existed
in a project LoW, then the project LoW would be run.

A possible difficulty - and doubtless there are others! - could occur if
the same file path were to be saved in more than one LoW file.

Tony.