Re: [StrongED] Re: Fresh 4.69a7 installation

In message <0466042353.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> In message <5684bd2153.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <36d4ae2153.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
> >           Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > What would be nice to have is for the viewers to be saved automatically
> > > when you close a project, that way the current state could be preserved
> > > across sessions. I'm playing with a few ideas but as yet nothing solid,
> > > suggestions welcome!
> >
> > Use the existing save box with a selectable project save box icon.
> > It would need to allow for a project fork, and the dragging of project
> > files to a new location, and recording the newly forked project name.
> > While saving, possibly warning of files that have been removed since
> > the last loading of files.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions but I feel they are a step too far ATM.
> Right now I'm just considering how the LoW could be saved automatically
> when you quit StrongED or shutdown the machine.
>
> For this we need to know what files are part of a project and where the
> LoW is to be saved. There has to be some way of recognising the LoW as
> being a project file, perhaps a special comment at start of file or use
> a different filetype. Once we have that we can think about more advanced
> features such as those you've suggested.
>
> > I think the saving the Lof's/Project would be done to Choices: and
> > selected from the icon bar menu. This might also provide easier access
> > to the project from another machine, though I'm not sure about how the
> > actual files would get found and shared.
>
> For access from a different machine you'd probably have to use the share
> path on the local machine as well so that the paths stored in the LoW
> are not specific to the local machine.
>
> > Using F2 to text search the loaded files appeared to be very fast,
> > maybe it is an advantage to have them loaded?
>
> Yes, that's basically what StrongED is designed for. With all files
> loaded it's very easy to search them, list all function definitions,
> jump to function definitions (even when defined in another file).
>
> > Once more than a few files are loaded, there is a stack of windows,
> > maybe the ones that aren't being edited could be iconised before
> > and after and still have the benefit of being loaded, but with less
> > demands on the desktop space.
>
> The LoW menu allows you to either hide or iconise windows. My own
> standard practice when working on a project is to load all the files,
> open LoW (Select click on second toolbar icon) then Ctrl-Shift-H to hide
> all the windows. The view I want to work in is then double-clicked in
> the LoW.
>
> Cheers,
> Fred.

Yes I see, I'm guilty of not reading the !help which covers this
subject.
help > introduction > Working with multiple open files.

All the main requirements seem to be already in place and I should be
able to use it in a project mode as is, and get a better appreciation
of the LoW and perhaps provide a better appraisal.

One further thought on the saving out of a project, seeing as the files
all get loaded at startup, they could be in an archive form.
Wether there is any advantage or not, I dont know. Maybe if there was
a lot of projects.

Thanks, Ron M.