Re: [StrongED] Re: Fresh 4.69a7 installation

In message <9dcae21e53.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
          Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <7847981e53.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > OK, it is not causing any problem.
> > It sounds like each instance keeps it own index of files, which could
> > be useful.
>
> It's only the first instance that remembers files. Further instances are
> prevented from using the feature to prevent clashes.
>
> > I notice that after an unscheduled shutdown, StrongEd starts back up
> > with the previously open files. I haven't gone out of my way to stop
> > this as it seems reasonable behaviour.
>
> If you do want to stop it, just open Global Choices -> Edit section
> and untick the option 'By default, remember files when quitting'.
>
> > One thing that I miss from Linux is the re-opening of a file at the
> > point it was last edited.
>
> How does this work exactly? Is it really the point of last edit or is it
> where the cursor is when the file is closed?
>
> Also, is there a limit on how many files it remembers, or a time limit?
> What happens if you open multiple views on the same text?

It appears to be the last location of the cursor.
I haven't run into any limit on the number of files personally, but it
is possible there is a max setting somewhere.
Likewise with the time limit.

Geany doesn't allow a second instance of the same file.
Opening the same file in the default Pluma editor, and the cursor is at
the start of the file.

I have editors on another HD/system that does allow opening the same file
twice so I'll let you know sometime.
I have found that the equivalent of Contrl-C to copy highlighted text in
Geany is to use the middle button (scroll wheel).
Potentially faster than Control-C.
These mice should have conventional button behind the scroll wheel
instead of dual usage in my opinion. Some are nearly OK.

> I've had a quick stab at modifying the file history so that it remembers
> the cursor position. If you now open a file via iconbar menu -> History,
> it opens the file with the cursor in the same place as before.
>
> It seems to work fine (once I had realised that remembering the actual
> address is a stupid idea, you need to remember the cursor position as
> an offset from start of file). Would this be of use to you?
>
> Cheers,
> Fred.

I'm not sure, The history list could get big and tedious to use compared
to the normal opening of a file from the filer.
I suppose a project style approach where you only have a project history
in the particular StrongEd instance might work.
If we cant save multiple StrongEds, maybe an internal StrongEd project
organiser.
I am refraining from saying why not an IDE like Geany, as we have a lot
of the tools in RISC OS and they dont present such a big challenge to
use as they would if they were outside the IDE in Linux.
I am thinking of !Textseek compared to Geany's 'Find in Files' as an
example.
'Find in Files' will search your project directory, but it really needs
to be able to search more than one location so that the GCC headers can
be searched simultaneously.
Then all the components to a function can be viewed in most cases.
The way around this will be to have the project directory in the same
proximity as the cross directory in Linux or in RISC OS, !GCC.

Thanks, Ron M.