Re: [StrongED] Re: ToggleBD 1.01 available

In message <531b7c83dbtim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <1b8a511b53.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>, Fred Graute
> <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Dear All,
>
> > The first of the promised programs to be released is ToggleBD.
> > http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/fjg/zips/togglebd.zip
>
> [Snip]
>
> 5.19 here. When I ran the application for the first time, it did install
> okay on the iconbar but threw up this error message as it did so.
>
> 'Special field not allowed in filing system prefix to OS_CLI'
>
> I was running it from my Transient folder, which lives on my NAS.

Sorry, I haven't tested ToggleBD in a network situation. Not sure what's
causing the error, will need to have a think about this.

> Seems to work okay once I changed the hotkeys to left-shift &
> right-shift. (I use the windows key for something else and that was
> happening too). I decided instead to re-create the feel of a Cambridge
> Z88. ;-)

That seems a somewhat odd choice. Using two keys on the same side of the
keyboard allows one to toggle the backdrop with one hand and control the
mouse with the other (to get at pinned objects).

> Just wondered if it should bring the iconbar to the front as well. It
> remains partially obscured by any desktop windows which otherwise vanish.

It may be difficult to get this to work reliably in all circumstances.
Both iconbar and backdrop want to be at the front when raised. Depending
on toggle behaviour this may lead to one being in the wrong position.

I've put together a simple app that raises/lowers both backdrop and
iconbar. It seems to work correctly when ToggleBD's behaviour is set to
'Lower if not at back' but not when set to 'Raise if not at front'.
http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/fjg/zips/toggletest.zip

Click Select on the iconbar-icon to raise, click again to lower. And
that's all it does, configuration needs to be done in ToggleBD.

Please, let me know what you think.

StrongED Developer